Sunday, October 9, 2011

My girl is 8!


8 years ago I gave birth.
I woke up at 3 am to a very active hyper moving baby. She was moving so much that I couldn't sleep. I had work at 7 am that morning and was desperate to have some sleep before waddling off to my job.
At 4 am I quit trying to rub, breath and soothe the baby inside of me back to sleep and went to take a warm shower.
Showers always had worked to soothe her before. At this moment I still didn't know that I was having a girl.
For the past two weeks I was having issues with hypertension. I was put on a strict diet in an attempt to get control of my health issues before giving birth.
At 5 am I finally noticed that while I wasn't in any pain, I was having strange weird pushy feelings 3 mins apart. Finally I woke my husband and had him drive me to the hospital.
Now according to my clock I was due within 5 days. According to my doctors I wasn't due for another 3 weeks.
Going into the hospital I was taken into a triage room and hooked up to the monitors. I had 3 protein in my urine. My BP was 185/165 and I was having level 8 - 10 contractions. At this point the nurse was staring at me. I was stilling there placidly rubbing my belly trying to calm the baby down.
She (the nurse) kept looking from me to the monitor. Finally (with heat) she said, "You're having a level 9 contraction right now? Can't you feel that?"
I nodded, "I feel a slight pressure and pushing feeling." She made a noise of disgust while rolling her eyes. "You should be screaming in pain!"
I shrugged my shoulders, I could not fake pain I didn't feel. Instead I explained clearly that my family has a long history of being able to tank pain.

I was quickly admitted and my midwife called.
I was consoled to undergo a C-section which I refused. Instead we made a compromise I had two hours to push the baby out without raising my BP any higher. After that they would take me in for a C-section.

After one hour of labor I was close to being done. I had a nurse who was doing all the little things in the room ask me what I was having. When I answered that I didn't know she asked what we were hoping for. I answered a boy. She replied, "What will you do if its a girl?"
I looked at her like she was insane and stupid before I answered very slowly. "Name her and take her home..." I mean really? How dumb do you have to be? Nope sorry I don't want a girl - take her back.
Silly woman.

I wanted a boy, so that if I had a girl she would have an older brother. What my husband and I really wanted was a healthy happy baby. God granted that wish with our beautiful 6, 11 baby girl who was born after only 1 1/2 hours of labor.

After giving birth they found that my body during the labor had decided it didn't need blood or plasma. I was down to an 19 crit count. While that is low and they were concerned what bothered them the most was that I was losing plasma just as fast as the blood making it impossible for my body to stop bleeding.
I was given 3 bags of packed blood and plasma.

My baby... she was perfection. Beautiful, perfect and tiny. Now today she is 8 years old. I look at her amazing features, slim frame and intense personality and am amazed at the person she is becoming.

Look out world my little girl is growing up!

2 comments:

Teena Churchill said...

Happy Belated Birthday sweetie!!

highheeledlife said...

Happy belated Birthday to your precious baby girl [only 2 more years to double digit birthday1!] ... I have been away ... catching up!! xo HHL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate This Blog