Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Gleevilly!!!

Gleevilly - Mash up of Gleeful & Evilly! Just imagine me - laughing manically, crazed eyes, evil smile and I know the chubbiness makes me look all sorts of cute and fluffy - inside however....



What is making me laugh like a maniac? You might ask.
This week has been full of ups and downs - we installed the downstairs toilet and started to get things moving on my soon to be compost bin.
Then my downstairs washer broke - I mean BROKE!
 Hubby went shopping - - - - and VOILA!  a front load washer & pedestal!


Now I have wanted a front load washer ever since my room mate and I WAY back when beta tested the very first generation ones about 13 years ago in phoenix!
Really they were amazing (not to mention cheap as we were taking surveys ect.) I promised myself that I would get one as soon as they came out.
Then they came out - an WHOA! I was not expecting that price tag!
Over the years the prices have finally started to drop and their popularity is driving the manufacturers to make more budget friendly ones as well.

For us of course that is still not enough - we like to buy refurbished ones from a local company and this time they finally had 2 instock! Yeah!
Hubby bought the nicest one (which I was thrilled about) as well as the two drawer pedestal!



Now there are a few things that you need to know about a front loading washer.

They use a special type of soap - to be water efficient it can not deal with high amounts of bubbles and suds.
Luckily for me I had already pre-made my own Powdered Laundry Soap. I had not used it yet as I was finishing off the rest of my store bought (its almost gone and is now up stairs for hand wash use only)

Home-Made Powdered Laundry Soap (Great for front load washers!)

2 C. finely grated Fels Naptha (comes in bar form can be grated into roughly 4 C. cost .99)
1 C. Borax (20 mule team preferred)
1 C. Washing Soda

Mix - store, use 1 - 2 TBLS per wash load - no fillers, no extra crap, not gunky, thick or extra bubbly - works amazing! (washed 3 loads with it just today!)

You can still add oxi-clean but only 1-2 tbls of that as well. You really don't need a ton of soap for this to clean!

Next up you have to know how to clean a front load washer, the seal at the front needs to be kept cleaned out and dried between loads. For a great blog tutorial click here!

After that just don't leave a wet load sitting in the washer, prop the lid open to air out when not in use and enjoy your washer! I know I am!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate This Blog